The history of St. Paul A.M.E. Zion Church began in the Catherine street home of Mr. C.D. Cox in 1911, under the leadership of pastor Rev. James Terry. In 1918, Rev. L.Q. Conquest became the pastor. Worship services were held temporarily in the old Vaudette Theatre on Gratiot Street when the Catherine street structure was destroyed by fire.

In 1920, Rev. P.R. Flack became the pastor, and led the congregation in the purchase of a church on Palmer and Beaubien.

In 1941, Rev. Lott P. Powell assumed the pastoral leadership. During his pastorate, scholarships to Livingstone College (N.C.) were established. Rev. Powell was a faithful pastor until his untimely death following his Sunday morning sermon in 1947.

Rev. William Alexander Hilliard pastored St. Paul from 1947 - 1960. During his pastorate, Rev. Hilliard established a Sunday nursery for the children. Rev. Hilliard oversaw the move to the present location, which the congregation purchased from Congregation B'Nai Moshe in September, 1959.

Rev. Dr. William Carleton Ardrey pastored St. Paul from 1960 - 1989. Dr. Ardrey provided exemplary leadership both as the pastor of St. Paul and as a community leader for the City of Detroit. Dr. Ardrey led the congregation in continued growth and the retirement of the church mortgage.

In 1989, Rev. Dr. William Milton White, Sr. was appointed pastor. Dr. White served until his death in March, 1996. Dr. White brought renewed growth and led the congregation in a $500,000 restoration and beautification project. Included in this ministry was the implementation of a soup kitchen, the purchase of a new parsonage and a parking lot.

In July, 1996, Rev. Dr. Derrick R. Anderson was appointed pastor. Dr. Anderson worked to build upon the great tradition and heritage of St. Paul to ensure the growth and vitality of the congregation and ministry.

Every round goes higher and higher. In July 2009, we were blessed with our current pastor, Rev. Eleazar Merriweather and his loving wife, Rev. Wanda Merriweather. He brings with him a commitment to and enthusiasm for the word of God; as well as his devotion and respect for ”The Book of Discipline of The African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church”. We look forward to embarking on our new journey which is centered on the word of God and driven by the love for God.